Hi, we’re Oscar. We’re hiring a Senior Software Engineer for Web/Mobile to join our Engineering team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About this role:
As a senior Oscar Engineer, you’ll join a tight knit, passionate team, and lead the designs of Oscar’s next generation of complex, feature rich, business services, data pipelines and architecture, and scalable infrastructure. You’ll mentor engineers to help them design for stability, performance, and scalability across services or clients.
We take pride in our efforts (deploys > 100/day), our small teams (engineers <= 5), and our ambition (frequency == everyday).
You will report into our Senior Director of Engineering.
What we’re doing:
- Doctor on Call – Whenever possible, we want members to start their care with us. Central to this experience is Doctor on Call: unlimited, 24/7 access to a doctor that’s completely free for most members and accessible directly in the website or mobile app. We’re able to resolve around two-thirds of all requests, often averting a more expensive trip to the emergency room or urgent care.
- Appointment Scheduling – Finding a doctor and scheduling an appointment shouldn’t require calling up every doctor in the directory. We’ve partnered with select doctors to reserve appointment slots for Oscar members, and it’s just a few clicks for our members to find the right doctor, view their availabilities, and immediately book an appointment.
- Cost Estimates – One of the biggest issues for members is price transparency. It’s incredibly difficult to find out how much something in healthcare will cost beforehand. in a different location can result in a difference in costs. We’re building a cost estimates tool for members so they can get accurate price estimates for the service they’re planning on receiving. This will help our members make informed decisions and avoid surprise medical bills.
- Knowledge Management – Our Concierge Care Guides field thousands of questions every day from our members, ranging from payments to benefits to help with finding a doctor. They essentially have to become experts on everything. We’re creating a platform that automatically surfaces relevant answers based on the member’s inquiries, ensuring the content is specific to the member and their plan and demographics.
- Component Library – Part of what makes Oscar stand out is having visually appealing and easy to understand user experiences. We’ve designed and built a React component library that’s branded and web accessible. Every web application at Oscar, whether external or internal, uses the component library. Read more about it here.
- Become the expert on your team’s business and technical domains.
- Lead the planning, execution and release of complex technical projects.
- Work with partners, product managers, and designers to solve challenging problems.
- Work with other engineers on the team to improve technology and apply best practices.
- Implement step-wise technical migrations of our existing applications.
- Grow the team by attracting, onboarding, and coaching new/junior engineers.
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience.
- A passion for fixing healthcare. The current healthcare experience is broken: it’s expensive, confusing, and doesn’t focus enough on patient outcomes. Our goal is to refactor healthcare piece by piece.
- An eagerness to work with other engineers, product managers, designers, and operational partners across Oscar. We believe the best ideas emerge when people share different perspectives and work together.
- Experience with our problems and user requirements and translating them into solutions.
- The ability to architect creative and maintainable applications across our web and mobile clients. We are excited by the right balance between moving quickly and improving the operability, performance, and scalability of the systems we build.
- An interest in using the best tool for the job. Our current favorites are React (Native), Python, Go, Kafka, Postgres, and gRPC.
Anything else is a bonus. We believe diversity is important in building something great. All backgrounds welcome.
Thank you for visiting NYCJOBS.CO