The Audio Experiences group owns the core domains for Audible’s Player and Library. Audible customers spend most of their time with Audible in either the Library or Player components of our application across FireOS, Android, iOS, and Web. We are embarking on a mission to reshape the fundamental experiences, delight our customers, and reshape how development is done across all surfaces and devices within Audible. It’s our responsibility to push Audible into new places; wherever our customers are listening. Achieving this vision means expanding and strengthening Continuous Deployment across surfaces; new technologies like CarPlay, Watch, HomeKit, Common Encryption Standard media, and adaptive live streaming; as well as driving a strong engineering culture with processes like Chaos Engineering and A/B Testing.
This opportunity specifically is as a Software Development Engineer within the Audio Experiences group. The team is building cutting edge components and 3rd party APIs being used internally and externally. We build the common components and libraries for the Library and Player experiences, as well as the customer facing UI for Audible’s Android, iOS, and Web applications. Our components enable all Audible listening experiences whether through our apps, Amazon devices, or even third-party devices like Sonos. We need your help to develop and deliver on this vision. Success means we lay the foundation for continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much-loved project.
· Own and be responsible for key components within the team.
· Design, develop, implement and support Key Components using latest technology that will influence teams beyond Audible.
· Work with Product Management and take the lead to help create, design and develop software that involves exploring and bringing out latest technology on the platform to make the listening experience better and easier for our users.
· Take every opportunity make a large impact on the design, architecture and implementation of cutting edge mobile based products.
· Provide technical direction and strategy to the team, drive the system architecture, spearhead the best practices and influence peer teams with brown-bag sessions and hackathons.
· Staying up to date on the latest trends & technologies industry-wide and sharing that knowledge with the internal community.
· Committed to team work, hustle and strong communication skills (both to business and technical peers).
· Thrive in delivering high quality technology mobile products in a fast paced environment with shifting priorities.
· Set the technical direction and strategy within the team and strategize to influence technology across Audible and beyond.
· Mentor and lead developers by cultivating curiosity and deep technical understanding.
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field
· 4+ years of application development experience with Android
· Development experience in Java and Kotlin Android environments
· Experience with Android frameworks
· Experience applying computer science fundamentals in data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysis
· Experience communicating technical problems to both technical and business audiences verbally and in writing
· Experience in mobile design patterns (MVVM), building mobile frameworks / SDKs, building custom UX widgets and optimizing apps for performance (Instruments)
· Experience writing testable code and automating test regressions
· Experience with multi-module application in a large distributed team environment.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations
· Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining an Android app
· Experience with REST architecture for web services
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
· Masters degree in Computer Science or related field
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We’re changing the narrative on storytelling. As the worlds largest producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we’ve redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it’s our people who make Audible’s service possible. We’re listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Thank you for visiting NYCJOBS.CO