As a platform company powering privacy for businesses all over the world, Ethyca processes data, manages users personal rights, automates compliance and helps startups scale respectful technology globally. Ethyca’s backend engineers are the centerpiece to building the business logic for all of that. As a full stack engineer, you’ll work design and implement frontend applications and backend services as well as REST API integrations, building new safety and privacy features to give users and businesses around the world better control over data.
In this role, you’ll play an integral part in significant decision-making for highly available, scalable and performant systems. You’ll get to work closely with other engineers and product specialists to build features across the system and our business to help solve some of the biggest pain points in privacy.
We’re looking for people with a strong background in building online systems from the ground-up; you’re comfortable in dealing with some ambiguity, lots of moving pieces and changing priorities; you have unerring attention to detail; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
- Design, build and maintain Java based web services
- Define contract for front end web clients to back end services and implement these
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, services, and systems across Ethyca’s engineering teams
- Debug and troubleshoot production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Love Java, JS, Angular, React, or writing the APIs that are involved in all the above. At Ethyca, we value high quality code. We work mostly in Java, with some customers in Scala. However, we view programming languages as a means to an end rather than dogma.
- Enjoy integrating with well-written SaaS product web services (Stripe, Shopify, Braintree, Intuit, etc)
- Are a great communicator and geek out about sharing your ideas on great systems architecture
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Can dabble in some DevOps, SecOps, and Network Ops
- Take pride in working on greenfield projects and legacy services transformation alike, involving Java, Angular, and everything in-between
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise to ensure we’re building the best privacy platform in the world
It’s not expected that any single candidate would fulfill all of these. We have amazing team mates who have previously implemented their own DB drivers and are now solving tough problems on service integration here at Ethyca.
You might work on:
- Building a new API for our users, or iterating on existing APIs
- Launching a new market or privacy tool
- With our Analytics and Product teams to improve performance and usability
- Building new tools for our business teams
- Building new systems to securely store sensitive data
We’re Looking For Someone Who Has:
- BA/BS in Computer Science (or relevant work experience)
- 5+ years of full stack engineering experience in Java, React/Angular and REST API Integration
- Demonstrated experience of working in a high velocity startup environment where rapid iteration is vital.
- Proven experience as a software engineer combined with a passion for technology.
- Demonstrable proficiency in Java, Enterprise Architecture and RESTful APIs.
- Experience using build tooling and automated testing frameworks.
- Ability to understand business and technical requirements and translate them into technical designs.
- Self-starter with an aptitude for problem solving.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent communication, organization and leadership skills.
- Cash + Equity + Bonus
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance fully paid by the company
- Flexible office hours & vacation policy
- Maternity & Paternity leave
- Commuter discounts
What’s it like to work at Ethyca?
Ethyca is helping to make internet scale and data-drive businesses safer and more trustworthy for users by building software that accelerates data privacy for businesses globally. Ethyca makes it easy to process data and offer users better control of their personal information in a world with increasing regulations.
At its core, Ethyca is engineering company. We’re building a missing component of the internets infrastructure – privacy respecting data systems. We take on some of the most challenging technical problems in data privacy so that other engineering teams can focus on building their products and businesses safe in the knowledge their tech stack handles privacy and ethics seamlessly.
As such, we care more than most about trust and ethics – our name is a reflection of that belief – and we think deeply about the affect of ethics in data-driven systems and carry that belief through to our teams respect for each other and our transparency in the companies direction and goals to solve some of the most pressing problems in the technology community.